Sunday 22 July 2012

Bearing The Torch Exhibition - Shipley Focus'd Gallery

Yesterday was one of those days when things just seemed to happen.  It was a beautiful morning and I decided to have a walk around the historic village of Saltaire where I happened to bump into Jennyfreckles who does the excellent Saltaire Daily Photo blog (http://saltairedailyphoto.blogspot.com/) and who just happened to be the first follower on my blog (thanks Jenny, it was a big boost to my confidence).
From Saltaire I walked the short distance to the Focus'd gallery in nearby Shipley where, according to my local  newspaper, a photographic exhibition was due to open on the Olympic Torch and its journey through the Bradford district.  The newspaper didn't give any further information and so I was pleasantly surprised to see that this was a joint exhibition by local professional photographers Roger Moody (http://rogervmoody.co.uk/) and Dean Smith.  As it happened, Roger Moody and Dean Smith were due to attend the opening of the exhibition along with some of the torch bearers who took part in the Olympic Torch Event.  I know Roger a little as he regularly photographs events taking place in and around Bradford and he was happy to let me take a few pictures of him at work.  The picture shows the director of the Q20 Theatre Company John Lambert (the master of ceremonies at the Olympic Torch event in Centenary Square) with the city center manager of Shipley and some of the torch bearers, and of course Roger with his young photographic assistant (his son).
I also bumped into local sports photographer Tracy Laycock (http://tracylaycock.com/) who just happened to be shopping in Shipley.  Tracy was at a cycling event a couple of years ago, when I first started doing this blog. The borrowed digital camera I was using at the time was causing me a few problems, and Tracy sorted the camera out for me and gave me a few tips on sports photography which  I greatly appreciated.                                                                                                                                            
The Bearing The Torch Exhibition is on until September 3rd 2012 and the gallery is open on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and is well worth a look if you are in the area.

4 comments:

  1. They seem to be having a really fun time. Looking at this picture makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture Martin. Thanks for taking one of me, William and the torch with my camera too. Did you see the excellent write-up in the T+A today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger - Yes, I've seen the article, great write-up (and great picture)!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that looks fun. I would have liked to have come with you but I'd arranged to meet a friend for coffee. Great to see you again.

    ReplyDelete